Back in the day when I was doing regular(ish) Tuesday at Ten Terrific Teaching Tips & Tricks, I made this video about how confusing and kind of not-useful the term “breath support” can be … and, because I don’t like to point out a problem without giving a solution, I also talked about what you might be noticing about a sound when you’re thinking, “hmmm … needs more breath support”, and ways to NOT use the term.
As it turns out? This little video is one of my MOST WATCHED videos to date. (Who knew?) So here’s a little summary of it FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE.
(If you’d rather do AUDIO-VISUAL, go on over here and watch that thing in all of its 26-minute glory!)
0:00 Who Am I? Where Am I? What Day Is it? WHY ARE THERE MEXICAN THINGS HERE? AND HOW COME THERE IS MAKEUP ON MY FACE?!?
1:00 Here’s what I want to talk about today.
2:00 THE VOCAL INSTRUMENT 101 ONLINE COURSE #celebrityshoutout
2:07 Two main reasons I’m not SUPER-FOND of the term “breath support”
- REASON THE FIRST (AKA: what does it even mean?)
- #voicepedcelebrityshoutouts (bet no one’s used THAT hashtag before, right?)
- head explosion actions
- ACTUALLY, THIS IS REASON THE FIRST
- REASON THE SECOND
6:15 Skip to here for the SUMMARY of why I’m not super-fond of the term “breath support”.
6:30 CAVEAT O RAMA
7:26 Steps to take to NOT use “breath support”
- WHAT IS IT IN THE SOUND THAT MAKES ME WANT TO ASK THE SINGER TO WORK ON “BREATH SUPPORT”
- examples include being “off the voice” or “wonky” vibrato or tuning issues
- WHOLE LOTTA’ VOICEPED SHENANIGANS
12:20 RECAP PLUS MORE VOICEPED SHENANIGANS
- one way to work on increasing pressure & vocal fold closure
- (my personal trainer doesn’t sound like that. #justsayin)
- FINGER GUNS ALERT
- feelin’ SUPER FANCY so I used SOVTs #justcasual
- I used a “don’t” and I’m not proud.
- one way to find more breath energy
21:00 BREATH, FOLDS, and RESONATOR ALL WORK TOGETHER AND INFLUENCE EACH OTHER
23:30 If you’re one of those people who only read the abstract and conclusions of a study? THIS IS THE CONCLUSION AND YOU CAN START HERE.
Now go on and examine your use of the term “breath support” and see what you’re REALLY hearing in that voice.
PS THE FIRST: I am doing something SUPER EXCITING for the FIRST TIME: offering a POPUP FOLLOWUP VOICE PED POWER UP for the folx who have done The Vocal Instrument 101 and it’s starting ON MONDAY and there are TWO SPOTS LEFT. SO, if you are interested in working with me to really pump up your pedagogy, and you’ve done the online course OR you’ve done The Vocal Instrument 101 in person OR you did an undergrad voice ped course with me? SEND ME A NOTE TO GET IN ON THAT ACTION. (And if you haven’t done the course? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? 😉 )
PS THE SECOND (AKA PPS): Virtual Voice Ped Power Up on the MALE VOICE is happening on Monday, 8th of June. If you teach males and you’re trying to figure out WHAT ON EARTH IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW? This is the Voice Ped Power Up for you. Registration links coming soon. #staytuned 🙂