The “Does Not Include a Podcast Episode Featuring Shannon Coates” Edition … #yourewelcome
1. favourite (possibly unnecessarily) #voicenerdtastic warm ups primer: Dr. Titze’s Favorite* Vocal Warm-ups as presented by Fort Worth ENT’s a tempo Voice Center
I first saw this unbelievably VOICENERDTASTIC warm up list on Matt Edwards’s blog nearly three years ago (DEAR GREAT GOUDA IN THE SKY: THREE YEARS AGO?!?) and I was all: YAAAASSS. Because: SO FUN to hand it out to my particularly VOICENERDTASTIC clients and just have that succinct yet SUPER-SCIENCEY explanation for WHY we do the things we do in our sessions. (And (not uncoincidentally**), look like a VOICENERDGENIUS to my clients as I explain all the sciencey things. #winning) Well guess what? Someone at Fort Worth ENT took Titze’s original document and GUSSIED IT UP. So now it’s a handy pdf that you can just download and hand out at your leisure. #iknowright? #GIVETHEMARAISE
2. favourite well-balanced, #superSANE blog post about whether or not singers should drink coffee: Coffee – Can Singers Drink It? by Elizabeth Rotoff over at The Fit Singer
Remember that one time when I commented about how I had “out-hydrated coffee” and a lot of people were all: SILLY SHANNON – DON’T YOU KNOW THAT COFFEE IS NOT DEHYDRATING? BECAUSE: SCIENCE!? Yeah, well. Elizabeth is an actual nutritiony-person so LISTEN TO HER. ahem.
3. favourite giftastic site for learning the who/what/where of vocal anatomy: dubdubdub getbodysmart dot com***
I mean, there are about a million and one ANNOYING AS ALL GET OUT ads on this site. And the great gouda above only knows how many cookies the site will embed into your computer’s innards. HowEVER: so. much. #voicenerdtastic goodness.
4. favourite music-love article from which you will definitely learn something: How Quitting Music Made Me An Artist by Tanya Kalmanovitch in Sounding Board****
WARNING: only read this article if you want to learn things about yourself and about music (eeew: feelings).
5. favourite VOICENERDTASTIC newsletter: the one from VoiceScienceWorks.org
Look. We are ALL oversubscribed. (And if you are not, keep it to yourself; I don’t need that kind of freedom and joy in my life 😉 ) But if you can handle having ONE MORE NEWSLETTER dropping in your inbox on a semi-regular basis? THIS IS THE ONE. It’s full of newsy, sciencey, voicey stuff that is super-interesting and will help keep you totes informed about voicenerdtastic things. #pinkyswear
Get out there and teach your face off,
* Let it be known: I am using the INCORRECT SPELLING of this word UNDER DURESS.
** Let it be known: probably not a word … and YET … I am using it. #breakingALLTHERULEStoday
*** I did not discover this site but I can’t remember who introduced it to me. And now I feel like a DIRTY, STEALING PIRATE for not acknowledging the lovely person who brought this site to my attention. So if that was you? PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL UPDATE THIS POST ASAP. #pleasedontleavemetofeellikeadirtystealingpirateforever
**** THANK YOU KEN BOZEMAN for the heads up on this article. I lurrve it.