the Saturday edition. because: vacation.
Yeah. I’ve been on vacation and technically? I STILL AM. But you know what? There are SO MANY teach your face off things on The Internets right now (possibly because a lot of voice teachers aren’t teaching as much as they usually do at the moment?) that I just have to share a few.
1. favourite YouTube clip PLUS explanatory blog post: Matt Edwards talks us through What Broadway Singers Sound Like “Off-Mic”
I had forgotten all about this clip until Marnie posted it to her studio FB page. Not only is it REVELATORY for young singers to hear/see the difference production makes, but Matt spells “mic” correctly. (I mean, OF COURSE HE DOES. But STILL.)
2. favourite mailing list: John Henny’s Amazing Email List
I know, I KNOW. NOT ANOTHER MAILING LIST. But, seriously: it’s way easier for me to just be all: JOIN THIS MAILING LIST than to be linking to his posts every gosh-darned day. (And yes: It’s all about what’s EASIEST FOR ME.) John’s musings are kind of like Seth Godin’s* musings except for singing and voice-teachery-stuff. Which: AWESOME-SAUCE. (Also? He’s funny on that there old email thinggie. which: never a bad thing. #yourewelcome)
3. favourite FB video: What If English Were Phonetically Consistent? by The Language Nerds
If you’re kind of nerdy about language (and a lot of singing teachers seem to be …?), you’re going to get a kick out of this one. #truestory
4. favourite podcast episode: Social Media for Private Teachers – Interview with Karen Michaels, by The Full Voice
Folks. If you’re feeling a little (or a lot – no judgement here) overwhelmed by the thought of how to do justice to your studio / business / side-hustle / sheer awesomeness on social media? THIS IS THE PODCAST FOR YOU. Unless you don’t want immediately applicable tips and tricks to make negotiating social media easier. You know, unless that.
5. favourite ted talk: The power of believing that you can improve, with Carol Dweck
GROWTH MINDSET, my friends. Fostering growth mindset in our students will radically change the way they learn. Or at least it has the potential to do so. #TRUESTORY
Pretty sure I’m up for it, white cat who is full of disdain.
Also? You can teach your face off … I can help.
Go on and find #voicepedme on all the things:
* ummm … if you’re not on Seth Godin’s mailing list, maybe get on that one too … it’s my fav non-singing-related but TOTALLY LIFE- AND BUSINESS-RELATED thinggie.
ps y’all know that my course, The Vocal Instrument 101, is on PRESALE ($200 off. YES: $200 OFF. That is NOT a type-o.) now, right? mmmkay. Just checking.
pps if you want to figure out how to run your business without hating your boss (hello independent voice teachers: I AM LOOKING YOUR WAY.)? You’re going to want to check out Michelle’s course. YES YOU ARE. #pinkyswear
HAVE A FEAR OF MISSING OUT?
Join the mailing list to stay up-to-date on our latest news, course news, and other goodies.