14th April 10AM et
Helping you include (rather than accommodate) & connect with every singer in your studio
Helping you connect with every singer in your studio.
[note: I held this class in November 2020 and had an unprecedented attendance so I’m offering it again a mere six months later due to massive interest]
WHERE THIS CLASS COMES FROM:*
Something you may not know about me is that both of my children are neurodivergent. That is, they have diagnoses ranging from autism to dyslexia to general anxiety to attention deficit disorder. And a few other things besides.
My teaching has been informed in more ways than I can count by watching my own children learn and grow, and by interacting with their therapists, counsellors, teachers.
In addition, I’ve learned an immense amount from the neurodivergent singers (diagnosed or not, disclosed or not) of all ages who I’ve had the pleasure of working with in my voice studio.
And, in my work with voice teachers of all experience levels, the discussion around neurodivergence and understanding its many presentations in our voice studios comes back around over and over.
So, this Voice Ped Class is for all of us.
It’s about the repercussions for both teachers and students when neurodivergence is unrecognized in the voice studio
It’s about the deep privilege we have, as independent voice teachers, to tailor our lessons to the unique neurology of every singer who walks through our studio door.
And, it’s about finding even more beautiful ways to serve our students in their musical and life journeys.
WHERE THIS CLASS IS GOING:
In this class, we will
- start to address our own judgements around student behaviour
- learn how to view those behaviours as indicators of ways we can better-serve our students, and
- be inspired to create even more inclusive studios that serve every one of our students even better than we already do.
And we will come away with
- new strategies for connecting with every student,
- expanded teaching methodologies to ensure the best possible learning,
- studio setup tips so that every student feels welcomed and comfortable, and
- creative communication ideas for working with EVERY singer in our studio.
* MY HEART. This class comes directly from my heart to yours.
PS In 2020, I wrote a big ol’ blog post about our experiences navigating education systems with neurodivergent children that you might find interesting.